• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

filmost 2014 - Year of the Pepper Podding Up!

--- In case just stumbled on to this, my 2015 glog is here ---

Hey all, figured it was time I started my glog. I will be managing it off site since I plan to translate the content later in hopes of connecting with the locals here in Japan. I will post short blurbs here with links back to my site; feel free to comment here or on the individual posts. Since updates will be in the comments of this thread, I will also post a link to the specific comment entry here as well. And on we go!

Blog Posts:

2014 The Year of the Pepper

Keep Calm and Grow On (3/6/2014) - (forum post here)

How do you harden your plants? (3/13/2014) - (forum post here)

2014 Glog Update #4 (3/23/2014) - (forum post here)

2014 Glog Update #5 (4/30/2014) - (forum post here)

2014 Glog Update #6 (5/27/2014) - (forum post here)

This is my second year with a garden. Never in my mind (or any one close to me) did I imagine I would get so into it. Last year I got started late and most of my plants never got anywhere. The only ones that took off were an unknown annuum my parents gave me, jalapenos, and a bell pepper. Even still,  I didn't really get any pods until fall.

This year I started my seeds in January with the majority of them fully sprouted by about the 3rd week. I followed up later with additional plantings after I received new seeds. Among the more interesting of my grow list this year (and the ones I am most interested in) are Rocoto de Seda from Semillas.de, Giant Mexican Rocoto from PepperLover, and some unknowns from Gotrox; if interested hit the link for the full list.

I'll end this here with the latest pic I have of my windowing facing grow space where the overwinters spend their time and the seedlings get to go when the weather is nice and sunny. Cheers!

VvmLGuu.jpg

jojo said:
Looking forward to seeing how these two come out...   I really wanted the semillas one, but opted for Judy's Giant Mexican instead.  keep us updated!

Good luck to your grow this year...  I'm sure it will be superb.  

Yep, I actually have one sprout of Judy's GMR as well, currently waiting for it to put out some leaves. My best and strongest one so far is a Rocoto de Seda, hopefully I will be able to get a post up today with pics.

unk3390 said:
Nice start, very uniform - did you germinate directly in the cups or transplant into them?  When's your plant out date?

Thanks! Yeah I suppose they do look pretty uniform, lol. For the majority of them I germinated in a seed tray with a cover, which took way longer than I was expecting. The Rocoto de Seda and PI355812, were germinated in cups on top of my fridge. And I finally settled on germinating in a ziplock baggie, and planting the ones that had roots; I find this method to be most consistent albeit more hands on.

Not sure when official plant out date is here in Japan, but hopefully mid to late March if not early April; temps are starting to warm up a bit, and Cherry Blossom season is right around the corner.

I think once it gets consistently warmer it's good to plant out. Last frost was a week or two ago. It got warm, then cold again.

I'm gonna try get mine outside in April this year (left it far too long last year because I was worried about rainy season).
They got a bit of growing to do first!

The other day I left the sprouts outside for longer than I should have, thought I over fertilized by sheer absent mindedness, but it turns out everything was okay. The ferts actually helped perk up my sprouts quite a bit. And only one seedling looked like it took some damage from the sun; this one too as bounced back.

Keep Calm and Grow On

EZR8V9V.jpg

filmost said:
The other day I left the sprouts outside for longer than I should have, thought I over fertilized by sheer absent mindedness, but it turns out everything was okay. The ferts actually helped perk up my sprouts quite a bit. And only one seedling looked like it took some damage from the sun; this one too as bounced back.

Keep Calm and Grow On

Watch out for wind burn too!

mx5inpa said:
For unhardened plants.

Ahh. How susceptible are they usually? I have to admit I have not been putting a fan on them. Last time I set them out though it was really breezy.

I keep a fan on them as long as the lights are on.
But I also live where the wind is notorious, so this year they will get trimmed to be short and stocky, and maybe do better when they go outside in the dirt.
Last year, last frost was June 1, so mine spend a loooooong time indoors.

filmost said:

Ahh. How susceptible are they usually? I have to admit I have not been putting a fan on them. Last time I set them out though it was really breezy.

Gotrox said:

Really susceptible if you dont do that.

Really susceptible if you dont do that.

Hmm, noted! Guess I should invest in a small fan.

i like your glog

what's the weather like where ur at?

Thanks! It's probably very much like North Florida. Gets decently cold in the winter with snow once or twice, but in general temps average 25F at night to just under 50 during the day.

Summers are hot an humid, often with 80-100% humidity if memory serves (I just know I am drenched in sweat all summer). Temps top out around 100F on the ass end of summer, give or take a few degrees.
Gotrox said:
But I also live where the wind is notorious, so this year they will get trimmed to be short and stocky, and maybe do better when they go outside in the dirt.
Last year, last frost was June 1, so mine spend a loooooong time indoors.

I get pretty crazy wind here as well since I live on a road that runs along the river (stream?) here, especially during typhoon season.

What speed fan are you using?

Also, one of the seedlings I grew from your mystery seeds just started putting out true leaves!

Check it out, stage one of lactobacillus culture complete.

25L3yZg.jpg

Now I am fermenting two bottles of milk on top of my fridge. Should have stage two completed by end of next week. Then it will be time to experiment.

I just keep it on low. Seems to be enough to keep the fungus and mold in check, and makes the stems hardier.

Seedlings are doing great. Looks like the fertilizer I gave them did wonders. No burning at full strength, but I will likely take it down to half just to be safe. After a little discussion in the /r/gardening, I also came up with a hardening off plan that should work well. Hopefully the weather clears up this weekend so I can put the plan into place.

How do you harden your plants off?

This little guy was nothing but a pair of cotyledons and teeny tiny growing node last week. As of today, he is pushing out his fourth leaf.

LN1LbwF.jpg

Well spring is officially here in Japan. The weather has been consistently warm, up in the 60s Fahrenheit usually although night temps have been in the mid 40s. I have been hardening off half my plants for 10 days as of this Monday. They are doing good, though growth has definitely slowed down compared to the ones in my grow boxes. Will have to start on the next set soon. Today I mixed up a foliar spray consisting of seaweed extract and lacto bacillus serum to spray on the hardening off plants, and also gave them a much needed watering with seaweed extract. More pics at the link.

2014 Glog Update #4

2SHKR7q.jpg

Here's our forecast for the next 10 days. Definitely staying up there. Hopefully night temps will break 50 consistently soon. All my new seedlings that popped over the weekend are out on our deck today today, the radiant heat from the composite material will help warm things up a smidgen as well. I am also starting off some bigger plants on my windowsill to bring out later this week.

hJnv25D.png

soon it will be summer, when its too hot to set pods! :( last summer was too hot and i couldnt give them any shade

Yeah, still gotta figure out what to do about that damn summer heat. Not to mention my watering problem this summer when we visit the US for a couple of weeks.

Back